Gas - Fun Facts
- The air we breathe is made up of different gases . It contains approx. 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen , 1% Argon and small amount of other gases.
- Gas pressure is measured in pascals (Pa) , kilo pascals (KPa) or mega pascals (MPa)
- Pure gases are made up of just 1 atom type eg. Neon gas, Helium and Argon Gas
- The ozone layer around our Earth is made up of Ozone (O3) whichs protects life on our world because it shields most of the potentially damaging ultra violet (UV) light rays from the sun.
Oxygen (o2) - oxygen is colourless, odorless and tasteless
- liquid and solid oxygen is pale blue
- oxygen supports combustion
- approximately 2/3 of the mass of a human body is oxygen!
Helium (He) - Helium gas is lighter than air & that is why we use it in balloons to float upwards
- it is formed underground
- Helium is non-flammable
Nitrous Oxide (N2O) - commonly known as "laughing gas" in the medical field
- also used to dramatically increase the power output in motorcar engines. Also known as "Nitrous"
Carbon Dioxide (CO2) - is the gas used in fizzy drinks and as a propellant in fire extinquishers
- Solid CO2 is commonly known as "Dry Ice"
Hydrogen (H2) - is the lightest of all the elements on the periodical table
- Hydrogen is extremely flammable & can be used as a fuel and for making fertilizers , glass , cosmetics and soaps
LPG Gas - more than 50% of LPG worldwide comes from natural gases extracted from the earth
- the balance is produced at refineries using crude oil
- as a flammable gas , it is a clean burning fuel source with low carbon emissions
- when used as a fuel in motorvehicles , often called "Autogas"
- typically filled to 80% in a gas cylinder to accomodate for thermal expansion
- can also be used as a refrigerant in conventional stationary refrigeration sets and air conditioning , but not in vehicle units!